≡ Menu

13 Years Ago: Right Now

It was just about this time, on May 21, 2005 that we lost one of the greatest people ever, Howard Morris. I think of him constantly. The older I get, I see him looking back at me in the mirror. Sometimes I do what Howard would call “doing a double-take!” Sometimes, I experience what I call the WWHD, or, “what would Howard do” syndrome. Normal for me to feel this multiple times a day. But, the void he left behind is still very hard to fathom. It amazes me as to how raw my emotions still are when May 21, 3pm rolls around each year. I keep it all in check throughout the year. Suddenly, I spot it heading in about a week or so out, and then, Today. It hits the beach like a big wave that stands out from the rest of the waves. Even though Howard passed away peacefully, the event of his passing, at least for me, is kind of like my own internal 9/11. That is how great a father he was to me. As hard as it is without him, we were all extremely blessed to have experienced him. That is a wonderful thing.
This site is built in his memory.
Dad, we will love you forever.
{ 9 comments… add one }
  • ken sweat May 21, 2018, 6:19 pm

David: I lost my father last year (6-5-17). I didn’t understand all of the emotions that you described until now. Just think your (and mine) dads are in a better place than this earth. Hopefully someday we will all be re-united. May god bless you, your dad and mine. Take care, Ken Sweat

• David Morris May 21, 2018, 6:27 pm

For the living, it is a permanent life-long adjustment. As sad as it is, it is also normal. Roll with the waves no matter their size.

• James Silvester May 21, 2018, 6:57 pm

David, your Dad gave generations the gift of laughter….My Pops has been gone for 47 years yet I remember his reactions to Ernest T….It filled him with joy at a difficult time in his life…..My Dad was from the deep mountains of West Virginia and he related to Ernest T and so do I coming from the same area….Last week my family was sitting around the dinner table and we always watch Andy Griffith at dinner….I saw my son, well into his 30’s laughing his heart out at Ernest T in the Mountain Wedding episode….Thats three generations and still smiling at the antics of Ernest T….Your father made millions smile at a difficult time in our country’s history. And he is still reaching out….I know your loss….Only a son who has lost their Pops can understand….God Bless David and stay in touch….Jim Silvester

• David Morris May 21, 2018, 7:22 pm

Jim,

Thank you for sharing your very kind thoughts. Just as Ken just shared some very moving thoughts about the recent passing of his great father, it truly is hard. I appreciate hearing about your dad, too. To miss them is to love. Yes, the generations that continue to enjoy this show is remarkable. Regardless of show biz, or how long ago our family members left us, we’re all in this boat together. I’m touched to hear of your family experiences. Thank you for reaching out!

• Kelly Maloney May 21, 2018, 7:07 pm

David, I think of your Dad so frequently, I think I’ve posted that every 5/21. Pls know that there are so many nameless/faceless people such as myself that miss him something fierce!

• David Morris May 21, 2018, 7:27 pm

I’m very touched by your comments. You are definitely not faceless to me!

Thank you my friend!

• Robert bienenfeld May 21, 2018, 7:20 pm

I could understand too, as I lost my father in a terrible bad house fire, in woodmere, ny, back in 2010 and feel with emptiness never got to say goodbye to him (https://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/officials-man-86-dead-in-woodmere-house-fire-1.2408187) at age 86 and luckily my my mom died in a hospital with a painful death with tracheostomy care from the woodmere nursing facility. Both died in terrible circumstances as I feel never really got to tell them how much I loved them. I often ask G-d, me being a good person, why he took both my parents in painful circumstances and I have really no answer on that. And every day since 2010 for my dad and 2012 for my mom and still seeking answers for both my parents terrible deaths. I think this will go on for the rest of my life at age 59. I guess as rabbi’s say it is the quality of life that counts not the quantity and the usual saying at the services ‘man plans, G-d laughs’. As I could understand that expression, all too well..

• David Morris May 21, 2018, 7:40 pm

Hi Robert,

Thank you for letting us in on your pain. It feels trivial for me to attempt to say anything to you. How very sad. Yes, unfortunately, you already know that this will stay with you for the rest of your life. However, it strikes me that you need to survive it, and shift this over in a positive way. Make it useful. Your story can be used on anyone at anytime to, for lack of a better way to put it, kick the rest of us in the ass who are perhaps not grasping life completely, feeling sorry for ourselves, etc. I ask others to please chime in regarding this post.

Hang in, and best wishes,
      David

• Gail May 23, 2018, 12:05 am

I remember the bricks and the rocks he threw
    It makes me laughs everytime